I really love this – it’s the best of all the cookies that I make – first it is wonderful with a cup of coffee and they can last a good while in a tightly closed container plus if you put some of the batter in the freeze a month later you can have fresh cookies.
Italian Anise Cookie
- 6 Eggs
- 1 1/2 C Margarine
- 1 C regular sugar
- 3/4 bottle of Anise 1/2 oz. *see note below
- 8 T Baking Powder
- 6 C Flour
Dip fingers in oil and roll dough into meat ball sized balls.
Bake ungreased cookie sheet 12-15 minutes 375 – 400 f
- 1/2 bag confectionery sugar
- add a bit of hot water, start with 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 bottle of anise flavoring 1/4 oz. or to taste
- add food color as desired
Right after the cookies are baked dip just the tops in glaze – let cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
This year I am making a batch with almond flavoring in both the batter and the glaze. I don’t think kids like the anise flavoring so I am trying something a bit different.
* I have not found anise flavoring on the store shelves here so I have taken star anise and add them to vodka – let stand for a week and strain though a coffee filter or cheese cloth. This is a good substitute for store-bought anise flavoring.
Let’s put on a pot of coffee and get this party started!