Often Gonzalo, the veggie and fruit vendor, has raw peanuts for sale. We love hot Georgia style boiled peanuts and today he had bags and bags of them ready for me to cook up.
Georgia Style Boiled Peanuts
- 2 pounds of raw unshelled peanuts
- enough fresh water to cover the peanuts completely plus 2 inches more
- 1/2 cup sea salt (do not use the salt with fluoride added)
- 2 tablespoons mesquite seasoning or other seasoning mix could be Old Bay or your special blend
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
Wash the peanuts until the water runs clear. Peanuts are covered in mud and need to be cleaned well, scrub them together with your hands and flush several times with water. Add peanuts, water to cover and spices to your pot and put on to boil. It can take several hours of boiling but check after 1 1/2 hours and see if the peanuts are soft. Mine were done in 1 1/2 hours.
Drain and go crazy. They are wonderful especially still warm.